Segment 1 – Retirement
Why Traditional Retirement is Dead
- Retirement worked in the past but not today.
- A few generations ago people stayed with one employer, received pensions and were only expected to live 10 -15 years after they retired at 65.
- The plans only had to cover those relatively short retirement years.
- Do you even want to retire?
- Early retirement may come with some health issues and loneliness
- Instead of retiring people often start an encore career
- Encore careers are usually not what the person has done in their primary career. An encore career allows someone to pursue something they truly enjoy and receive a paycheck which helps bridge into full retirement.
Segment 2 – Beer
- Roy chose Green Flash’s West Coast IPA which is a double IPA
- According to the Great American Beer Festival guidelines a double IPA
- Ranges from 7.6 t0 10.6 ABV
- 65 – 100 IBUs
- This West Coast IPA is 8.1ABV and 95 IBUs
- Green Flash reformatted their single IPA recipe in 2014 into double
- Brewery founded 2002 in SD
- They recently opened a new 100,000 barrel facility in Virginia Beach, VA
- Beer Advocate scores it 4.22 out of 5 and Rate Beer 96 of 100
- Green Flash’s beer can be found in 17 states
- Relatively expensive
- West Coast IPA refers to an unofficial IPA style along with East Coast and more recently New England style
- West Coast IPAs feature lots of American hops and are characterized as citrusy with a lingering but not unpleasant aftertaste